OWNER – BAKER AND CHEF
EASY FRIED ITALIAN ZEPPOLE FRITTER
- 50 g vegetable oil
- 100 g water
- 100 g all purpose or bread flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 ⅛ of baking powder Pinch of salt
- 3 cups vegetable or canola oil
Heavy sauce pot Wooden spoon Stand mixer Flat paddle
Piping bag with any tip
- Pour water, salt and oil vegetable in a small non stick saucepan, bring it to the boil. As soon as it starts bubbling add the flour and stir constantly. Basically the flour needs to get toasted on the stove for about five minutes, beating constantly and vigorously with a wooden spoon, until you have a golden ball of Chou pastry dough that will not stick to the sides of the saucepan. This is when you know the dough is ready.
- Remove from the stove, transfer into a clean mixing bowl and stir on low and let it cool slightly. When the steam dissipates, add the whole eggs slowly one at a time and add the baking powder. Continue to stir in your mixer with the flat paddle for about five minutes, until smooth, glossy and thick. Once done you can transfer into a piping Bag.
- Heat the vegetable or canola oil in a large sauce pot until about 350°C. Pipe the dough round or do nut shape onto small cut parchment pieces so they can fry in this shape
- the parchment paper can be removed while frying.
- Fry the zeppole until light golden brown – make sure to turn them over while frying.
Approx time 5 min
- Once they are fried place on a rack to cool, and sift icing sugar over the fritters and enjoy! The zeppelin can also be filled with custard, whip cream or nutella for a more decadent dessert!