Equipment: knife, measuring cups, stew-pot, stove, sieve
- 2 ox-tails
- 2 slices ham
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 carrots
- 2 turnips
- 3 onions
- 1 head celery
- 1 bunch savory herbs
- 4 clove
- 3 lumps sugar
- 2 tablespoon mushroom ketchup
- 1/4 pint beer
- 3 quart water
- Cut up the tails, separating them at the joints, wash well and put into stew-pan with the butter.
- Put in half a pint of water and stir them over a sharp fire until the juices are drawn.
- Pour in the rest of the water and when boiling add salt to taste; skim well.
- Cut the vegetables in slices and add with the herbs.
- Simmer for four hours or until the meat is tender.
- Take out the tails, skim and strain the soup, thicken with flour and flavor with the ketchup and beer.
- Put back the tails, simmer for five minutes and serve.