- 750 g macaroni
- 500 g cheddar cheese grated
- 67 g smoked gouda grated
- 250 ml homo milk
- 500 ml 35% cream
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp old bay
- 110 g butter
- 100 g all purpose flour
- Panko to top
Heavily salt water for boiling macaroni noodles. Cook macaroni to al dente.
Step 2 – Make Béchamel
- Bring milk and cream to room temperature. Do not use directly from the fridge.
- Melt butter and whisk in flour to make roux at medium temperature.
- Slowly incorporate milk and cream while whisking. Once all the milk/cream has be mixed in, gradually add cheeses while stirring continuously. If you have an immersion blender, you can use this by pulsing the mixture. The speed will help prevent the milk solids and fats from splitting (otherwise known as breaking).
- Add old bay to béchamel and mix thoroughly.
- Combine the béchamel and macaroni in a casserole dish or a dutch oven.
- Ensure that the macaroni is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle panko bread crumbs on top and broil in oven until top is toasted or golden brown (approximately 3-5 mins).
- Remove and serve!