By: SHORI IMANISHI
Bonito Dashi (see recipe)
- Soy Sauce
- Dried red chilli
- 1 L Water : 30 Grams Bonito Flake
- Bring 1 L of water to boil, turn off heat and add Bonito flakes.
- Steep for 2 mins and strain.
- Prepare Age dashi sauce: Add Dashi (500ml), Mirin (5tbs) and Soy sauce (5tbs) into a pot.
Bring to boil and turn off heat.
Add 1 crushed garlic and 1 dried chilli. (NOTE: Make enough Age dashi sauce for eggplants to marinate in)
- Cut eggplants so all cuts are evenly sized.
- Lightly deep fry eggplants (If you are using a fry pan use a generous amount of oil and fry each side for roughly 10 seconds).
- After frying, let eggplants sit on some kitchen paper to rid of excess oil.
- Place eggplants in to Age dashi sauce, cool in fridge for 1 hour and serve.