Imagine sitting down to a warm, comforting meal that’s both light and satisfying. That’s exactly what you get with our Homemade Gnocchi Recipe! 😋 These soft, pillowy dumplings are made with just a few simple ingredients and are sure to become a new favorite in your household.
With its soft, pillowy texture and subtle potato flavor, gnocchi is a perfect option for a cozy weeknight dinner or special occasion meal.
The best part? They’re incredibly versatile, so you can customize them to fit any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner, a special date night meal, or a hearty family feast, gnocchi is the perfect choice.
It’s easy to prepare and fun to make, perfect for weeknight dinners or special occasions.
You’ll only need basic kitchen tools like a mixing bowl, wooden spoon, and pot.
We’ve also included helpful tips and frequently asked questions to ensure your gnocchi turn out perfectly.
Let’s get started! 🍝
Recipe for Gnocchi from Scratch
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Potato masher or ricer
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife or pizza cutter
- Colander or strainer
- Tongs or slotted spoon
- 3 large potatoes peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the potatoes by placing them in a saucepan and covering them with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until they’re tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool slightly. Then, use a potato masher or ricer to mash them into a smooth consistency.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the egg to the mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add the melted butter, stirring constantly until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for several minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts and roll each piece into a long rope shape.
- Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces and press the tines of a fork into each one to create the characteristic gnocchi texture.
- Carefully drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until they float to the surface. DO NOT STIR THE GNOCCHI.
- Remove the gnocchi from the water with a slotted spoon or tongs and transfer them to a plate. Serve immediately, topped with your favorite sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Per serving: Calories – 250 Protein – 6g Carbohydrates – 45g Fat – 12g
Can I use pre-made gnocchi mix?
Yes, many grocery stores carry pre-made gnocchi mix. Simply follow the package instructions for preparation.
Can I use different types of flour?
While all-purpose flour works best, you can experiment with whole wheat flour or a combination of all-purpose and semolina flour for added texture.
Do I have to use eggs?
No, you can substitute the egg with 1/4 cup of warm water. However, the dough may be slightly denser.
How do I keep the gnocchi from falling apart?
Be gentle when handling the dough and avoid overworking it. Also, make sure to cook the gnocchi in batches, so they don’t crowd the pot.
How do I store leftover gnocchi?
Leftover gnocchi can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat them in boiling water before serving.