Experience a taste of Italy in your own home with this delightful Vegan Zeppole recipe! Zeppole is a classic Italian sweet treat traditionally enjoyed during the carnival celebration. However, with this vegan twist, everyone can relish it guilt-free at any time of the year.
The intriguing blend of crispy and soft textures, along with the dusting of exquisite powdered sugar, will undoubtedly rock your taste buds.
This recipe serves four to six people, making it perfect for sharing with family and friends. So let’s get started!
Vegan Zeppole Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Deep-fry thermometer Important
- Ice cream scoop or spoon for shaping the dough
- Deep-fryer or large pot for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk such as almond or soy milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until a sticky dough forms.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large pot to 350°F (175°C).
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to drop dollops of dough into the hot oil. Fry in batches for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the zeppole from the oil using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Optional: Dust the zeppole with powdered sugar before serving.
- Enjoy your Vegan Zeppole while they are still warm and crispy!
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Protein: 3g
So why not give this recipe a try? Indulge in the delightful flavors of Vegan Zeppole and satisfy your sweet cravings today!
Tips for the Perfect Vegan Zeppole:
How many Zeppole does this recipe make?
This recipe will yield approximately 12 zeppole.
Can I make Vegan Zeppole ahead of time?
While Vegan Zeppole are best enjoyed fresh, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days. However, they will, most certainly, lose some of their crispiness.
Can I bake these instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the zeppole instead of frying them. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and place the shaped dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Can I use an egg replacement product?
Absolutely! Vegan egg substitutes, such as aquafaba or a flaxseed egg, work perfectly in this recipe.
Can I use other types of flour?
We recommend sticking with all-purpose flour as it provides the best texture for Zeppole.