Experience a taste of Italy in your own home with this delightful Vegan Zeppole recipe! Zeppole is a classic Italian sweet treat traditionally enjoyed during the carnival celebration. However, with this vegan twist, everyone can relish it guilt-free at any time of the year.
The intriguing blend of crispy and soft textures, along with the dusting of exquisite powdered sugar, will undoubtedly rock your taste buds.
This recipe serves four to six people, making it perfect for sharing with family and friends. So let’s get started!
Vegan Zeppole Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Deep-fry thermometer Important
- Ice cream scoop or spoon for shaping the dough
- Deep-fryer or large pot for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk such as almond or soy milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until a sticky dough forms.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large pot to 350°F (175°C).
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to drop dollops of dough into the hot oil. Fry in batches for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the zeppole from the oil using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Optional: Dust the zeppole with powdered sugar before serving.
- Enjoy your Vegan Zeppole while they are still warm and crispy!
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Protein: 3g
Tips for the Perfect Vegan Zeppole:
How many Vegan Zeppole does this recipe make?
This recipe will yield approximately 12 zeppole.
Can I make Vegan Zeppole ahead of time?
While Vegan Zeppole are best enjoyed fresh, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days. However, they will, most certainly, lose some of their crispiness.
Can I bake these instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the vegan zeppole instead of frying them. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and place the shaped dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Can I use an egg replacement product?
Absolutely! Vegan egg substitutes, such as aquafaba or a flaxseed egg, work perfectly in this recipe.
Can I use other types of flour?
We recommend sticking with all-purpose flour as it provides the best texture for Zeppole.
Do you have a recipe for regular Zeppole?
How to serve the zeppole?
To serve, sprinkle the vegan zeppole generously with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. It is important that the whole surface of the zeppole is covered with the sweet and aromatic mixture. When the zeppole are perfectly dusted, serve them immediately. Warm and fragrant, zeppole are best eaten fresh from the oven to appreciate their irresistible flavors and textures.
How should the vegan zeppole be cooked and for how long?
To achieve perfectly fried vegan zeppole, follow these steps. First, prepare the dough, which may seem unappealing at first. Despite its lumpy and messy appearance, trust the process and let your mixer work its magic. Once the batter is ready, it’s time to fry:
Start by lining a plate with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat about 1 ½ inches of oil to a temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit. To fry the zeppole, use a small ice cream scoop or two spoons to drop about 1 tablespoon of dough per zeppole into the hot oil.
To ensure even frying, avoid overcrowding the pan. Depending on the size of your pan, fry only about 6 zeppole at a time. This will keep the oil at an even temperature and prevent the zeppole from sticking together.
While frying, use a slotted spoon to turn the zeppole several times in the hot oil. This will help achieve a uniform golden brown color. Fry the zeppole for about 4 minutes, or until they are nicely puffed and develop a lovely golden color.
Once cooked to perfection, use the slotted spoon to transfer the zeppole to the paper towel-lined plate. This will allow any excess oil to drain, resulting in a lighter, less greasy end result.
For the finishing touch, sprinkle the zeppole generously with cinnamon sugar. This delicious coating will enhance their flavor and add a hint of sweetness.
For the best experience, serve the vegan zeppole immediately while they are still warm and fresh. Enjoy these delicious treats and indulge in their blissful flavor!