Hey there, my fabulous foodie friends! Today, I’m thrilled to share with you my mouthwatering Lemon Pound Cake recipe. This delightful treat is bursting with zesty lemon flavor and has a moist, tender crumb that will melt in your mouth.
The heavenly aroma of fresh lemons will fill your kitchen as you bake this beauty, and the vibrant yellow hue will brighten up any table. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you!
Picture a warm, sunny afternoon, a tranquil moment to yourself, and in your hands, a plate of this golden glory. As you take the first bite, the crumbly goodness of the cake melts in your mouth, releasing a sensational carnival of sweet, tangy, and buttery hints. This isn’t just a dessert, it’s a sensory experience!
This Lemon Pound Cake is an undeniable crowd-pleaser, perfect for any occasion. Its vibrant, sun-kissed hue is a treat to the eyes, and the lemon aroma that wafts through your kitchen as it bakes will make it almost impossible to wait!
Lemon Pound Cake recipe
- 9×5 inch loaf pan
- Electric mixer or stand mixer
- Lemon zester or microplane
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rubber spatula
- Wire cooling rack
For the Lemon Pound Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest about 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 1-2 lemons
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C). Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next. Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Add the sour cream and lemon juice to the batter, mixing until fully incorporated. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then carefully remove it from the pan and transfer it to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the lemon glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, drizzle the glaze over the top, allowing it to drip down the sides.
This Lemon Pound Cake is a fantastic recipe to have on hand for a variety of everyday life circumstances.
It’s perfect for:
- A refreshing dessert after a summer barbecue
- An elegant treat for a ladies’ luncheon or bridal shower
- A delightful surprise for a friend or neighbor
- A sweet pick-me-up on a rainy day
Can I use low-fat sour cream in this recipe?
While I haven’t personally tested it, using low-fat sour cream should work fine in this recipe. However, keep in mind that it may affect the texture of the cake.
Can I substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt?
Yes, you can substitute the sour cream with an equal amount of full-fat Greek yogurt.
Can I freeze this Lemon Pound Cake?
Absolutely! This cake freezes beautifully. Simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw at room temperature before glazing and serving.
Can I make this without a loaf pan?
Yes, you can use a bundt pan or small cupcake tins, but baking times will vary.
Can I substitute the lemon juice with concentrated lemon?
Fresh lemon juice is preferred, as it provides a superior taste and scent.
I hope you enjoy this Lemon Pound Cake recipe as much as I do! It’s the perfect combination of sweet, tart, and buttery goodness that’s sure to become a favorite in your household. So go ahead, give it a try, and let me know what you think! Happy baking!Please share, thank you!